Thursday, March 4, 2021

A simple plan turns fancy...

I started this bird bath with a plan
of keeping it simple so it
would be a lower price point 
item in my shop for people
that don't want to spend a lot.
 However as you can see I got into it and
it became a more elaborate piece.
I sculpted a clay branch with vines around it.
Then I began sculpting a little sparrow to sit on it.....
I have to hallow out the inside
 so that the walls of this piece are thinner,
and it does not explode in the kiln.


Isn't he Cute?
I wasn't sure how the branch would dry,
 with it being so delicate and detailed.
 So this was a experiment 
to see what would happen.
I attached the bird to the side
of the bowl and moved his
head sideways.  I also
added some little feet.
Ta Da!  all complete, and the
birds can stand on the branch to
get water.  It is now ready to dry.

It survived drying and the first firing fine.

  Now on to glazing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment