Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Old Girl Still Has It in Her!


A few months ago Petey started showing interest in
shredding her papers at the bottom of her cage.


I didn't think much of it because Petey is 25 yrs old.
I got her in 1992 after the death of my brother. 
 I needed a distraction and
something to get me out of bed in the morning.
Google lists
the average life span of a Sun Conure parrot to be 15-20 yrs.
  That there are a few that made it to 30.  
So at 24 the thought of her laying
eggs was the last thing on my mind.
  She layed them 1x about 15 yrs ago.
 So that is how I found out Petey was a girl. 
The only way to verify parrot gender is through DNA sexing.
Anyway low and behold on the morning
16 December I was surprised by an egg!



I was really concerned because I read that it takes a lot of energy for them to make an egg,
 and she did not want to leave her egg. 
So I put her food bowls on the bottom of her cage to encourage her to eat. 


Then five days later the second egg. I do have to mention
 since lots of people seem to ask me, 
No these eggs are not fertile- no baby chicks in them!



Then three days after the second egg came the third.
 Everything I read tells you to let them sit on it
 do not take them away or they will be like a chicken
 and continue laying eggs. Just to make sure 
I called the vet and they told me to leave her eggs
 in the cage until she loses interest. 
So she still has not lost interest!


I worried that she is getting enough nutrients
 so I hand feed her baby cereal, and scrambled eggs
 in addition to all her other cooked foods.



Such a devoted little mama to her little eggs. I feel sad for all her hard work and devotion knowing nothing will come out of those eggs.


I am leaving her be at the moment, and letting her do her thing.  I have been preoccupied with a family member being hospitalized so I have not taking down my Christmas decorations.


When I take down my Christmas tree I'm going to 
move her cage in its location, to stir things up a bit for
 her and maybe get her to lose interest in her eggs.


Fingers crossed my little girl stays healthy
 and this doesn't wear her down in her old age!


No comments:

Post a Comment