Monday, January 11, 2021

My Rabbit Loves

If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram you know
that I lost my beloved Rue .He was such a sweet boy
with no bad habits and such a lovable, cuddly rabbit.
I thought  he was having stasis and gave him the meds
 for it when he didn't look any better I rushed him to
the Emergency vet in Rochester, MI. They kept him
overnight and did some tests.  The tests indicated he 
had most likely a twisted liver.  Sadly surgery for that
 would cost $5000 - $7000 which was out of my
price range. My husband and I drove there Thanksgiving
morning to put Rue down.  I did not want him dying alone.
 He was on pain meds but when they brought him in to me
he did mouth purrs when he saw me and was in my arms.
 I told him I loved him and he was such a good boy.
It was such a shock and a sad thing to happen to
such a dreamy boy.  I am comforted in the fact that he
got to live 10 months cage free
and enjoy a life of cuddles and delicious food. 

My bunny room was a sad lonely place.  I felt like there
had to be other buns that should enjoy it and have a 
happy ending too. I  joined a Michigan house rabbit page on FB
and several members haved private rabbit rescues.
And  that is where I found Emmy and Oscar
They had just been rescued from this awful hutch with a wire metal floor throughout the entire cage.
Imagine what that would feel like when it's 10 below zero in Michigan. Apparently the hutch being
attacked by a German Sheppard is what made the owners finally give them to the rescue.

They were covered in fur mites when they first
arrived to the rescue
They both got vet checked before I got them.  Supposedly they
are 3-4 yrs. old. We were told he was neutered and
she was spayed.  We don't know 100% for her because she was so
traumatized from the check up that they didn't want to put her thru more.
Oscar is the big boy and Emmy is the little lion head.  I am
told she has a tattoo in her ear although I haven't seen it.
She is missing a few toes which I personally think might be due to 
frost bite in that old cage.
This is their fist moments in their new home on 12 Dec
I know I am touching her her but it's only because
she was too afraid in the new space to run away.
Since their old cage floor was metal they were used to pooping
all over the floor and didn't understand the litter boxes.
They are doing much better with the litter boxes now,
a month later.
From being in such a small cage they were
unsure what to do with a whole room.  They didn't even 
realize there was a door that went other places.  Kind of
sad when you think about it.  They also had that
flight mentality to always be aware for predator's.


Oscar is overweight and Emmy underweight at 2 lbs. He has hard
callous sores on his feet from the metal floor.  He gulps his food
ferociously like how Rue did.  I think that they are afraid that it's 
gonna fall through the floor of the cage so they eat so fast.

Emmy loves hay more that her pellets
 and I have to remind her to eat at feeding time.
When they arrived they were not trying treats as they were cautious
about everything.  I knew I had to find something for
them to love in order to train them.  Emmy did not want to be 
touched.  So for me to be able to pet her I know I'd
have to have a yummy to coax her.  I did find that she will
eat little granola pieces and will let me pet her while she eats them
out of my hand.  See the video of her below eating lettuce.

I wonder what they think of their new home.  
They now know their names and come to greet me
when I come in the morning. They seem to be doing really well.
My hope for this new year is very low vet bills.
Last year was over the top.  I am praying this little pair lots
of joy in the last chapter if their happy ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment