Sunday, November 5, 2017

Moving the Plants in for the Winter


I am battling a miserable head cold.
The nights are now dipping into the 30's in Michigan
so I moved all my plants inside from my green house.
  I don't heat it in the winter. 
I wish this house had better light.
It's always a struggle for me to find a place for them,
especially since  they grow so much in the summer outside in the shade.


I over winter a few annual flowers inside that would
not survive the winter here.


Here you can see my Geraniums in big pots.  This pic 
was taken at the beginning of the
growing season.  They get as big as shrubs simply
because they are about 3 yrs. old.


There are all sorts of ways to over winter
geraniums.  I have tried others with
less success and for me this works
best.  I replant them in  large plastic pots with
new dirt.  I cut back the plant otherwise 
they would never fit inside.  This year they were pretty 
shocked so I weakly fertilized them to get over
the shock.  Usually you only want to cut them 
about 1/3 back. Then I just treat them like a house
plant throughout the winter.  They usually
stop blooming 1/2 way through
winter but the leaves stay green.


In April I usually move them out to my green house.
I fertilize them and with the added sunlight they
perk back up and start filling out and blooming.
Then in the spring they get planted back in my 
large planters. I like how big they get in the summer.
Honestly I have never seen Geraniums this
large for sale in the spring at any
garden centers.


With the dark winter ahead  I can
enjoy my green plants inside.





I have to gather them around my windows and hope for the best.



I'm not a fan of the falling back time change. 
I know we gain an hour of sleep but for
me that means I will go to work in the dark and when
I go to the barn at after work it will be dark.  The only
time I'll be able to ride my horse outside is on the weekend.
Does anyone one else hate the time change business?
I sure hope I feel better soon....




No comments:

Post a Comment