Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Good Bye Vines...Hello Butterflies!


I have been battling wild morning glories
like these in my garden for over 10 years.
You can't kill them!
and they take over everything you
plant and choke it out.  I have
tried everything!
So being desperate to kill it I opted for cardboard.
I can get lots of this from work for free.
and I estimate it'll take about 2 yrs. to biodegrade
in which time the vines will hopefully
be choked out and killed.

I had to leave this end uncovered as the perennials
are too closely spaced.
I should mention that I bought weed cloth
but it was too hard to go around all the
perennials so that is why I
switched to cardboard.  In the areas
where I used weed cloth... the stupid vines
are still coming up through the weed cloth.  So 
the cardboard seems to be a better choice.
Then I covered everything with mulch.
Since I couldn't plant in the ground with the cardboard
I opted for container planting.  I wanted to turn this
area into a Butterfly garden.  I am hoping it will attract
more butterflies and humming birds.
I salvaged old dresser drawers
and turned them into raised planters.

A few of the flowers are blooming
I want it to be bursting with blooms!


Plus I used pots I had.  I like to have all 
my pots be a terracotta color   To me it
unifies everything so that it doesn't look like
a menagerie.  When everything starts growing 
I think the pots will just meld away and the focus
will be on the flowers.


I prefer the wilder cottage garden look than formal
gardens with everything trimmed into
balls or squares.  If I had it my way I'd
live in a cabin or a cottage with a thatched roof.
I found this fencing picture on Pinterest
and I liked the quaint look of it.

We are slowly converting
my garden fence to look like it.
I just need to collect a mere
70 more sticks out of the woods!
Plus I'm going to add some grapevine to it.
I like how it looks and once
all the flowers start growing over it
 it will be just like I imagined it!
This arbor is new from last year.  I lined the top with
chicken wire so the little bird
house could sit securely on top.
I knew the birds would be back again and
the house is full of babies at the moment.
 I strung up some little pots of flowers 
to add some color until the trellis grows in.

I have not seen a butterfly but
they must have traveled already
North from Mexico because
I have found 5 Monarch eggs so far
on my milkweed!
Eager to see what will Bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment