Monday, May 21, 2018

Newly Built Mobile Planter


Since we finally warmed up in Michigan I have been 
in Garden mode.  So this has been my inspiration for the 
last few weeks.  The past few years my tomatoes have not done well,
I think due to how shady my garden area is most
of the morning.  I decided  to build a 
mobile planter so I can go where the sun is!





I doodled out how I wanted to build it.
I wanted to insert Rubbermaid type
bins so that the wood would last
longer and not be wet from the dirt.


It was pretty easy to build and went together quickly.


 Here I was determining where the shelf would go to hold the bins up.


My parents bought the building supplies for
this for my Birthday.  So I continually
sent pics to them showing progress.  I wanted my Dad
to see how nice and level it was.
I inherited my handiness from my Dad,
and I wanted him to see
it was being built just as he would do it.


My husband and I did it together!
I figure out how to do it and we do it.
We work really well together!
I'm grateful that he always
supports my little projects and is such
a good sport!


It's very sturdy.  We used wolmanized wood
and glued and screwed it all together.


It just make me happy to have an idea and
then see it all come together.


We drilled big drainage holes in the spaces
between the supports so that
it won't drain on the wood. 
Murphy wanted to check out the bins.


At first I tried staining it with a green colored wood stain.
I didn't like how uneven it looked.  It was really 
hard to get an even tone.  So I got and
opaque green water proof stain in the 
same color.  I am really happy with how it
came out.  Yes it was a pain in the butt
painting 2 coats but it should hold
up for many years to come.



The wheels are heavy duty and support 350 lbs. each.
With the bins being  deep I wanted to be sure
everything would hold up nicely.


I'm in love with the color and I think it's attractive.
It's rolls easily too.  I can roll by myself.


I hope maybe this might give you an idea
if you want a planter in a space and 
need it to be portable.


No comments:

Post a Comment