Friday, August 10, 2018

If you think you want a parrot...

Here are some things you should know.  I have
had my Murphy since she was weened
about 14yrs. Parrots are amazing highly intelligent
pets that entice many people to buy them.
People love the thought of having
a pet that can talk to them.
I love my Murphy girl dearly but I
knew what I was getting into before
I got her. I had a Blue
Front Amazon- Gidget before her that
sadly died from a deformed
liver.  I knew the moody
temperament of an Amazon and that
they are not for a inexperience bird owner.
They require a lot of attention and care
if they are going to have a good life.
Not all parrots are going to talk.  Murphy
talked all the time and then
stopped and now only says what she needs
to, to get what she wants.
This is NOT a pet that can sit in a cage
for you to look at, to admire the pretty
 colors of their feathers.
They need to be part of the family
and want to interact with
you.  You are their flock.
They will demand it by screaming
which often leads people to stick
them in a different room which is
exactly why they were screaming in
the first place! Thankfully mine don't scream
but when you hear "Mama" a thousand
times because she wants out you have  to
let her out! They require
many toys to busy themselves
when you are not home.
They will chew up the toys
so you will need to buy more, or
make them yourself.
They have to be sturdy and nontoxic.
Parrots NEED a variety
of food.  Just seeds is NOT going to
cut it!  You need
to feed them a variety of food
all the time for a life span that
can go up to 75 years!
Even if you do all these things and provide
everything your Parrot needs... you need
to realize they are an extremely
hormonal animal that cannot be
spayed or neutered.  Some are more
so than others and are considered
"hot or Hormonal" during
breeding season.  They want to
breed and cannot help their raging hormones.
Murphy has been really hormonal lately.
She has bitten both of my ears.
Oh the pain and clamping power of that beak!
Which brings me to another point- if
you have small children don't get a parrot.
They can bite and they need attention.
With kids of your own you won't have the
time for them so just don't do it.  I hate to
see discarded birds with all sorts of
feather plucking disorders !
It's just so sad!
There is no set reason as to why
or what sets her off.
She goes into an overly
excited mode.
She's bitten me and my husband.
She attacked my foot last weekend.
She is not allowed on the floor
but she climbed down off her perch
and got overly excited.
In an effort to get Murphy
under control we have changed things up.
I have moved her cage to a new location.
Swapped her and Petey's cages.
Not sure Petey likes it.
but that's my only option at the moment.
Also my Vet recommended birds have full
spectrum lighting but Murphy's
not getting her light right now.
It stimulates  Summer lighting
and makes her want to breed.
So we will save that for winter
when it's really dark. 
See Petey has her light on in
the picture above.
I also changed out Murphy's
toys giving her new
things to play with.
So far so good with the changes
I also will not let her on my shoulder
as birds think they are
dominate in their flock hierarchy when
they sit taller than you.
All that said....I obviously love my
Murphy and that is why I go through all this
trouble to care for her.  I am grateful
I have her.  I just think people should
know the reality of parrot ownership
before they jump in to owning one.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment