Monday, March 18, 2019

Potters Choice Glazes

There are a few new items in my Etsy store....
I bought some mid-range glazes and wanted to try
 them out with the stroke and coat glazes that
 I use on the flowers. I had to get some high fire clay that
would fire at the higher temperature
of over 2000 degrees.  I knew the stroke and coat glazes
would react differently at the higher temps.
I have resorted to taking photos and writing in a 
notebook of what glaze combos I use. 
I did download a guide from Amaco the glaze
company that makes them saying what would
 happen to the colors at higher temps.
 However some of their predictions were off.
As you can see- the dark coloring on the
pansy flower in the middle didn't even show up
and it wasn't supposed to have a reaction.
Plus, I thought the 2 coats of purple around the rim would
come out much darker than they did.

I am pretty happy with this blue bowl.  The colors
didn't change much on the flower.
I did expect more of a change on the rim
with the blue though.
What I did learn with the mid-range glazes is to put more 
coats for a more dramatic effect.
I really do like these glazes and will use them again.
So if you would like one just go to
my Etsty store at the top of the page!

No comments:

Post a Comment