Monday, August 11, 2014

Feels like lately I am spinning my wheels but getting no where.
With my projects and to do lists.  I have had paint
for my garage door now sitting by the door for over a month.
When I'm off it's either too hot or raining.  But it's on the list!
 
Here is one of my latest projects...progress.
but to understand the end vision, you need to see 
my Santa I made about 4 yrs. ago.
 



 
He sits about 20" tall,  I molded his face, hands and feet
out of polymer clay.  I am not a seamstress so
I kind of made my own
pattern for his clothes
and stitched it by hand because
I didn't feel comfortable with my sewing machine
sewing so small and in detail.
 
 
I am always teased by my Mom and sister...
"So how come you never make us one??"
 
 
So I decided this year would be the year.
This will be their Christmas gift and since they
never read my blog- I figure it's safe putting it on.
I have over the last couple of months off and on been
sculpting the body parts. 
 
 
 So this is the beginning.  I use Polymer clay which
you can bake in your oven.
I mold the doll skull out of tinfoil
 and on to a wire.  Then mold the clay over the  tinfoil.
You can see the first  head  I'm
 holding while the second skull is behind it on the table.
This part takes a while.  Molding and
getting the wrinkles.  I know he looks a bit creepy
at this point but you have to mentally visualize
rosy cheeks and lips plus hair and eyelashes.
 

The eyes I ordered online and
are actually flat glass eyes
that can be baked in with the heads.
I also sculpted hands on wires.  Below they
are getting ready to be baked.
If you are interested you can find
all kinds of info and supplies
on-line.  That's how I started.  I saw one
in am Christmas magazine and I
googled info on it. 
look for "polymer art dolls"
 
  
 
10- 15 min in a 275 degree oven and they
are all done and hard.
 
Next I tried to find boots on-line but I couldn't
find anything that I envisioned in my
head so I got some brown polymer clay and molded
my own.
 
 
All baked!
 
 
All these wires will be put together
and a body will be built.  I will show how it comes together
 as I go along.
 
Plus over the years I've been collecting props at garage sales.
A sled here, toys to go in his sack, doll chairs.
I have a ton of Santa props piled in my art closet.
 
fingers crossed I'll be done by Christmas....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment